|In 1768, the first known Baptist dissenter in Wolvey opened his house for religious worship. The village grocer, George Toone, had brought the Baptist faith to this small Warwickshire village. He had been “influenced by some words at Kegworth” in 1760 and joined the New ‘Connexion’ Baptist Church in the neighboring town of Hinckley. As such, Wolvey was, and continued to be, a subsidiary of the Hinckley church until 1815, when Wolvey took the step to branch out on its own.
Toone opened his home to other villagers for Baptist worship with the aid of his two friends, John and Richard Shipman, The membership gradually increased, until in 1789 it was necessary for a meeting house to be built. The land cost 57 pounds and 15 shillings and was bought by Toone and Samuel Walker from a man named “cooper”.
The chapel has adapted through the years. A rebuild of the original structure in 1803, schoolrooms added to support the younger generations, the addition of a Baptistery to move towards complete independence, and the creation of galleries to cope with the ever increasing congregation.Today the Church is a small but enthusiastic group of Baptist believers, and recent grants and gifts, along with the hard work and dedication of the Church membership has seen the Church refurbished into a friendly and pleasant place for our weekly worship, along with many community functions that improvements have made the meeting rooms suitable for.
|1760 George Toone begins attending Hinckley Baptist Church1768 George Toone opens his house to villagers for Baptist worship1789 Original Meeting House built1803 Present day Meeting House built 1815 Chapel becomes independent and a Baptistery built
1818 School rooms and a vestry built
1818, 1829, & 1913 New pews and seating bought
1834 Internal gallery constructed
1857 School rooms enlarged
1865 Communion table purchased
1914 Pyramid roves added to porches
1925 Pipe organ purchased
1980rs WC built
1998 Windows replaced
2009 Organ Refurbished
2011 Schoolrooms Refurbished
2012 New Floor to Main Church
2015 Rose Window Restored